Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

RTW: From Page to Screen

Road Trip Wednesday

This week over at the YA Highway, the question addresses the magical journey of book to film.  The question asks:
The Veronica Mars Kickstarter success makes us wonder, what YA book would you raise $2 million to see a movie version of?

First of all, I must confess that I have never seen Veronica Mars.  Shocking, I know.  It seems like everyone on Earth, including the cave trolls of LotR, have seen this show.  There has been a lot of talk about the whole raising money to make the movie thing and it really got me thinking.  Why in the world would us normal people that make normal amounts of money need to contribute anything when those Hollywood folks with all their millions could just lift up a couch cushion and find $2 million laying among the cheerios and long lost Nerf darts?  What is that all about?

Anyway, my answer to this question came to me instantly and it is my absolute favorite YA book I have ever read.  Yes, I am going to go old-school on the blog today.  The answer is:

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Giver (The Giver, #1) 


I remember reading this book for school when I was very young and it really left an impression on me.  I didn't fully understand it the first time I read it, but I came back to it several times as I got older and I found more layers revealed themselves to me every time.  It is such an imaginative book and I would love to see it explored in film.  It would have to be done right, though.  All this franchise crap coming out these days has destroyed the book to film leap for me somewhat.  With the right director and team behind it, I think The Giver would be a project I would fight for.

By the way, I just checked out what is hiding underneath my couch cushions out of curiosity.  A treasure trove of lost items, let me tell you.  Among the goods: 2 Nerf darts, 3 Legos, 6 cheerios, 3 pennies, 1 quarter, 1 christmas light bulb and a whole mess of popcorn pieces.  No $2 million.  I could always check the car...

9 comments:

  1. I just re-read the Giver for the 3rd or 4th time - every time it gets better.

    Have you read the companion books to it? Gathering Blue, Messenger, and newly-released, Son? I'm re-reading books 2 and 3 so I am freshly ready for Son. I loved those two and am excited to see what the final book has to offer!

    Hey, you might not have $2 million, but you got $.28! That's 28 cents closer to a film adaptation of the Giver, which I would LOVE to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read the companion books. I remember hearing about them and being disgruntled, as I sometimes get when people start messing with a good thing, and then totally forgot about them. I suppose I should maybe consider overcoming my hermit-like bias toward the new books and give them a chance. I have heard wonderful things about them. And yes, only $1,999,999.72 to go! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. Hi, have you read The Book Thief? Sweet mercy, that book! I heard a rumor that the rights to that book have already been sold, so we may see a The Book Thief movie sometime soon.

    But yes, The Giver could be incredible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not read The Book Thief. Man, looks like I need to make some time to read. All this writing is very detrimental to my sacred reading time. Both would be movies I would love to see. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. I heard they're optioning this book as well. Bout time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully that is true. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. I too have only read THE GIVER and none of the sequels. I was actually surprised to learn this is a series--I thought the first book wrapped up nicely. That makes me a little nervous to read the rest... but I might someday. I would be interested to see a movie of it.

    Good choice, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin's right. The first book stands alone perfectly, so I too never read any of the others. I wondered if her book SON is any good.

      Delete
  5. I've never watched VERONICA MARS either, seeing as I found out it was a good show after it got cancelled. I'd also love to see a movie version of THE GIVER. It's a thought-provoking story and has influenced so many of the dystopian novels lining the YA shelves of bookstores. And by the way, you're very brave for checking under the couch cushions. I'm too chicken to even peek under mine. :)

    ReplyDelete